Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today I wanted Kaitlyn to see the inauguration of Obama not only because it is the first one since she was born but because of what it meant historically. While out running errands I was telling her that I wanted to get home so we could watch the inauguration on TV. I told her that it very important to watch it because it is history being made which rarely happen in your life. I told her that her children will read about it in history books and she can tell them that she watched it happen. She then says to me "Mommy I am going to have 4 boys and 4 girls!" (FYI to the guy that marries her). The mind of a three year old.
We get home and I put on the TV and start lunch. After our discussion in the car I wasn't to sure how much she would be interested in watching. I start pointing out the then President Bush and all the other people that were coming out and who they were, all the while she was playing with her dolls on the other side of the couch. She was interested but then went right back to playing with her dolls.
Then Obama came out and Kaitlyn turns off her Mozart CD, yes you read right, (Dad she is defiantly your grandaughter) comes over and sits on her stool (partially because her lunch was ready) and starts clapping. When she sees someone cheering she put her arms up in the air and says to me "Mommy I am cheering for Obama". I sit there and watch her and I start to feel my eyes start to water. I think this is silly there is no reason I should be on the verge of tears, but it is at that moment I realize that I am sharing a part of history with her, her first experience of history. Then I think why should this choke me up as much as her first smile, first word or first steps? I think that it is because this is a first that she might actually remember and will share with my grandchildren. Maybe it is just me being caught up in the moment of it all and realizing that my little girl is not a baby anymore and is starting to know more about the world around her.
Kaitlyn watched the rest of the ceremony, listened to the music, and lasted all of a minuet of Obama's speech and declared that she was board and wanted to go outside. I finished watching the speech and then we went outside and played in the snow. I don't know how much of this she will remember but I know that I will always remember it. Some for the historical significance, but mostly for that special moment I shared with my daughter.

2 comments:

Laurie, Adam and Xavier said...

That is sweet, there is something about Obama...Xavier stopped what he was doing and came over and sat on my lap for Obama's swearing in and speech...

Valreegrl said...

Wow! That is awesome.

We haven't really talked much about it with the kids. I just figured it wouldn't interest them.

I can see now just how much they absorb, and we should totally be sharing these things.

Thanks for the reminder :)